Friday, July 31, 2009

Is There Any Hope?


I have not blogged in over a week. And though my absence has been a regretful one, it is something that’s been hard to avoid. I leave on Aug 9th to begin training for a new job I have taken, and trying to get my (proverbial and literal) house in order has given me little time to voice my opinion on the issues of the day. This does not mean, however, that I have not been keeping up with what has been going on in our nation.

Our country is in dire straits and has been for many years now.

We have slowly but steadily been marching down a path away from individual freedom and back to the corporatism of massive, centralized government. The same nation that once scoffed at the idea of imperialism now sees its empire expand under the watch of both parties. The remnants of the Old Right (the once great defenders of libertarian values) are small, scattered, and shunned by the very party it helped build. Progressives, long thought by many to be dead in effectiveness, are back in power and making successful strides to carry out their massive statist agenda. Moreover, “Change” has come to the Beltway, but things remain much the same. In sum, the bailouts, government expansionism, and unconstitutional acts of one administration have been replaced with that of another.

What are we to do? How can we stop this runaway statism and get back to limited, constitutional government that provides true freedom and true prosperity?

The answer: We must not compromise our values, principles, or passion for liberty in the pursuit of political gain. And, likewise, we must not shy away from the political process due to feelings of hopelessness.

The fight for freedom is a continual one. There will be victories and there will be defeats, but regardless of short-term outcomes, we must soldier on and never lay complacent.

Let us educate ourselves, read and understand our Founding documents, root out all inconstancies in our thought and practice, and fight for what we hold dear. Moreover, we cannot rely on a single candidate, party, or people group to deliver us from the clutches of tyranny. We must fight consistently and hold those we fight for consistent as well. Don’t fear being vilified, marginalized, or criticized. Stand on solid ground and solid principles, and all others will fall away.

I have fought for the Constitution much of my life, and I have been disappointed with what goes on in the political system for just as long. I admit that I am no beacon of unwarranted optimism, but I do have hope in the liberty movement. Needless to say, I am quite pleased to see others seeking out freedom and constitutional understanding.

I make no claim that total victory will be won and complete constitutional government restored, but I do believe that massive strides toward reclaiming freedom can be made if we seek the cause of liberty unwaveringly. We cannot be dismayed and quit if total success is not met overnight. And, furthermore, if great victory is achieved, we cannot rest on our laurels.

There is hope in the midst of the great adversity we face, and it is found in consistent application of the principles on which this nation was founded. So let us pursue this cause.

Of course, I cannot leave you in a discussion of hope without letting you know where my true hope lies.

Even if we neglect our Founding principles and fall deeper into the pit of statism, losing all our freedoms, I will not be without hope. For, my hope lies not in the actions of men and their governments. My hope is found in the life I have been given in Christ Jesus, who died for sinners like I and redeemed a people for himself. Whether or not I live as a slave here on earth, I have been redeemed by the Lamb of God and no longer live as a slave to sin, but am free in Christ.

My message is simple: There is reason to hope, but the only true hope can be found in Christ.

All lovers of liberty, let us hope that true change will come to this nation. We know how to accomplish this. So let’s fight the good fight.

Christians, let us realize the true source of our hope. Be a witness to the world, and show all the true source of your hope.

1 comment: