Monday, January 18, 2010

A Reflection for MLK Day


Today is Martin Luther King Jr. day in the United States--a day in which we can reflect on a man who forever changed the political and social landscape of our country.

I am in no way a full-fledged supporter of Dr. King. Some of his convictions I do not share, and some of his alignments I can not endorse. (I can understand these positions and alignments, however, and do not blame him for them.)

That being said, MLK leaves much to be admired (and I do admire him much). He was an elegant and powerful speaker. He was man of conviction and principle. And he worked dilegantly for the cause of freedom. He will forever be an American hero and one or our greatest leaders.

Dr. King showed what could be accomplished through peaceful resistance and respect for one's fellow man. He understood that the state is not always right, laws are often unjust, and a battle for rights is a fight worth having.

While I do not ask you to blanket endorse all that is Dr. Martin Luther King, I do ask you to consider what good can be drawn from his example and apply it to our current struggles.

"Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed."-MLK Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment