Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Census and the Constitution | Tenth Amendment Center

The Census and the Constitution | Tenth Amendment Center--I do not control the giving of census data in my home as I now living with my parents, but I am trying to influence my dad's actions. That is not an easy task as he is not too concerned with privacy in these matters, but we'll see how it turns out. However, my thoughts and would be actions are very much along that of this article.

He concludes:

Americans need to stand up to Washington’s intrusion into our private lives. What business of government is the number of times a citizen has been married or what he paid for electricity last month? For those who find such intrusion acceptable, I’d ask them whether they’d also find questions of their sex lives or their marriage fidelity equally acceptable.

What to do? Unless a census taker can show me a constitutional requirement, the only information I plan to give are the number and names of the people in my household. The census taker might say, “It’s the law.” Thomas Jefferson said, “Whensoever the General Government (Washington) assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force.”

No comments:

Post a Comment